Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Week 19 May 7-13

Day 1
Ps. 28. Call to the Lord, my Rock. Don't treat me like the wicked with evil in their hearts. They don't regard the Lord. V.7 The Lord is my strength and my shield, in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped, my heart  exults and with my song I give thanks to Him.
Ps. 143 Meditate on all the Lord has done. Teach me to do Your will for You are my God and I am Your servant.
Ps. 70 May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in You! May those who love Your salvation say evermore, God is great!
Ps. 40 I delight to do Your will, O my God, Your law is within my heart.

Day 2
Ps 27 The Lord is my light and my salvation who should I fear?. One thing I ask of the Lord and seek after, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life and see it's beauty.
Ps. 121  My help comes from the Lord, the Lord will keep me from all evil.

Day 3
David was sending his men out to war. He was going to go with them but they told him no because Absalom was seeking his life. Absalom got caught in a tree and David's men found him. Joab told them to kill Absalom but they didn't so Joab strikes him and 10 of Joabs armor bearers surrounded him and killed him. The trumpet is blown and the war is over.  David hears of Absaloms death and is very grieved. The men came back with a victory but because David was mourning they felt grief and ashamed. Joab told David to get up and encourage his men or they will not stand with him no more.
David put Amasa in charge of army instead of Joab.

Day 4
Ps. 92. It is good to give thanks to the Lord, praise His name. How great are His works.
The war did not have to happen if David had forgiven Absalom and treated him like a prodigal son in a few chapters back. 
Sheba rebelled against David and brought all of Israel with him. David returns to Jerusalem and took his 10 concubines and put them in a house under guard  and provided for them to the day that they died. But he didn't have any relations with them and they lived like widows after Absalom had defiled them on the rooftop.  David called Amasa, his new leader, and told him to go out after Sheba. But Amasa delayed in leaving, Joab went out and met Amasa and killed him. Joab went on to find  Sheba  and  had him killed. 
There was three years of famine because of the blood guilt of Saul killing the Gibeonites. David went to them and asked what he could do for them. They said no amount of silver or gold will do it but the sons of the man that planned to destroy us. So David gave them  7 sons of Saul. But Mephibosheth (Johnathan's son) he spared. God responded and gave them an end to the famine.

Day 5
Ascribe to the Lord, give Him worship and glory. May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless His people with peace.
There is war with the Philistines again. David grows weary and his men tell him to not go back out to war with them. 
Ps. 36 God is faithful with His steadfast love. We can take refuge in the shadow of His wings.

Day 6
David does a census of the people. Joab told him not to do this thing.  David realizes he has sinned. He repents to God and is told you can choose 1 of 3 things. He chooses 3 days of pestilence. 70,000 men died. David sinned but others gave their life in payment for it. When we sin it affects others as well. David pleaded with the Lord and told him that it was his sin, "Lord let your hand be against me and my house." 
David bought land from Araunah to raise up an altar. Araunah didn't want him to pay for it. But David refused, he said I will not offer any offerings to The Lord that didn't cost me nothing. Our offerings should cost us something, if not it wouldn't be considered a sacrifice.
Ps. 30. Sing praises and give thanks to the Lord. His anger is for a moment but his favor is for a lifetime.

Day 7
Ps. 33 Shout for joy in the Lord and give thanks. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord. Our soul waits for the Lord, He is our help and our shield.  David is old and is getting closer to death.  Adonijah, Absolams younger brother exalts himself and said he will be king.  Nathan, the prophet, goes to Bathsheba and tells him this news. They both spoke with David and told him. David called his men to him and tells them that Solomon shall be king.
I have enjoyed reading about David in these last books of the Bible. We can be encouraged by David's life and the things that he went through. He was called a man after gods own heart. That is the kind of person that I want to be, a woman after gods own heart.

Happy Reading, Jeannie 

No comments:

Post a Comment